Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Bread of Life

Of all the things that I could be doing on this hot, August, Sunday afternoon....I'm making bread. Something I've been wanting to dabble in since I was about 13. So here I go......
I only have a few cook booked so I do what I know best and I began to Google bread recipes. I didn't want to make white bread, I want something delicious, special but simple and I also want to be able to use the items I have in stock in the pantry. Below is the recipe I discovered.
While googling, I found several good websites with blogs about how to calculate what each recipe cost and other helpful hints. check out,
http://sensetosave.com/2007/12/05/how-much-does-that-recipe-cost/
from there you'll find directions on how to calculate recipes so you know exactly where your grocery money is going. I'd like to be able to offer the readers....hello? is any body reading this besides my sister?....ways to make food for a family without spending a lot of money. Now I shop at Bulk Foods stores so i am able to get good, quality dry ingredients for less. It is worth the trip so check out your local bulk food store.
Here is my calculation for this Sunday August Bread... $67 cents per loaf, this recipe makes 2 loaves.

Ingredients
* 1 1/3 cups water
* 2 tablespoons butter, softened
* 3 tablespoons honey
* 1 1/2 cups bread flour
* 1 1/3 cups whole wheat bread flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
* 1/2 cup flax seeds
* 1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Directions:
Bread machine recipe: see hand made conversion below......
Place all ingredients (except sunflower seeds) in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select basic white cycle; press start. Add the sunflower seeds when the alert sounds during the knead cycle.

For 2 loaves. 2 cups of warm water with 6 tbsp of honey dissolved in it. then sprinkle 2 1/4 tsp of yeast and let proof for 10 minutes. Then add 1/4 cup of oil and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Then all your flour (I used about 5 cups, half whole wheat and half white) and seeds. You can add other seeds, than what is listed above, what ever you like. I added Chia seeds which are high in iron......and sunflower seeds.
Then I let rise in a oiled bowl for 1 hour, punch down and divide into 2 loaves then let rise again for 45 min. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
This is a yummy & nutritious bread. I am going to have some this evening with dinner and I will attempt to use it for sandwich bread for my 10 year old son.

I found so many good reasonably inexpensive recipes to try.
I will save the butternut squash recipe for Fall. It's amazing and very inexpensive. Buy squash in season, cut, cook and freeze for holiday recipes coming up.

Let This Circle Be Unbroken -

2 comments:

lady Robin said...

hey...I must have missed this post....and You KNOW, I've done some bread baking in the last few years...I think I posted pics, (like a geek) on my facebook page even...Although there is so much more to say on the act of making bread than I will share here today, what i was thoroughly amazed at,like your reference, was the very low cost of producing superior quality bread!
If you are willing to shop in bulk, do some experimenting, and organize your time, you can easily produce delicious, nutritious, gorgeous loaves of all types of breads....including european-style hearth loaves. (You go girl!)

lady Robin said...

Oh...I almost forgot. There is a great website on sourdough bread making that i have frequented for recipes, ideas and inspiration.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/